Tuesday 13 September 2011

blessing upon blessing upon blessing





They are piled high. The blessings we do not deserve.
I am so greatful.

These days are full to the brim of things to be thankful for.

I sit down to spend time with God and the "thank yous" come pouring out.

I am blessed!

This past week was a busy harvest week, with birthday celebrations to finish it off.

I was surrounded by people who wanted to help me with the kids, people who shared many thoughts and prayers for a good harvest, people who wondered how it was going for me cooking, homeschooling, housekeeping and preparing for the birthday party. People cared, and I was thankful.

I was blessed by the presence of those who come into my home and life and do what needs to be done. My mom is one of those. My birthday is in the middle of harvest... and every year she comes here to serve me and my family in the middle of this crazy season and works her butt off to show us that she cares. We appreciate every load of laundry she folds, floors washed, meal prepared, kitchen cleaned and story read. One of her great gifts is in doing what needs to be done. This was such a refreshing gift to me, one I really needed.


 Because my husband and I have birthdays back to back, we are always overwhelmed by the kind words people send our way. I know it is somewhat obligatory that people tell you they love you and that you are wonderful on your birthday, but I will take that any day. It feeds my soul to hear those words.

Like a plant in need of water in a dry land, I was watered with care by those who love me. Not an overwhelming downpour, but the kind the soaks in and lasts a long time.



And as I reflected on this past year for my husband and I (because our birthdays are one day apart), I saw incredible growth for both of us. In this year we've had some battles, we've climbed some mountains, we've celebrated milestones and momentus occasions. We've grown and we've learned. We are older. I feel older than I did last year. This past year has aged me, in good ways too.

But at the end of it all, I can say that the Lord has heaped blessing upon blessing upon blessing on us. We do not deserve this life. We do not deserve His blessings and yet He is pouring them out so freely upon us. He delights in us. Sigh... isn't that a wonderful image. The creator of the universe smiling with joy as he touches us with His presence, His mercy, His grace, His love, His forgiveness, His joy, and the gifts He freely gives us in the form of those we love.

And so I look at the dishes on the counter knowing I fed those hungry mouths healthy food, and I preserved apple juice and tomato sauce for my family to enjoy this winter. I see the remnants of good learning done, creative play enjoyed, gifts given and projects still to be tended- and today rather than feel defeated by what lays ahead of me I am joyful. Because thankfulness results in joy. Joy comes from thankfulness.


thankfulness

2 comments:

  1. I've started reading this book and I am inspired everytime I read a page. Thanks for sharing again into your life! Diana

    ReplyDelete