Tuesday 20 September 2011

What I was thinking

This is what I let my 4 year old wear to pre-school today.


upside down headband makes his ears flop, clip on tie, belt over top of his pants and shirt, and a clip on mp3 player holder that was empty (except for maybe a rock in it).

Some people may think I am setting my child up to be teased and made fun of by letting him go to school looking like this.

I would disagree. 
My son was proud as a peacock wearing this get-up to school. He was so confident in himself and so excited to show his friends his coolest dress up treasures. He told me he felt fancy. He thought he looked handsome.  He never questioned that someone might not like what he was wearing. He would never have imagined that he looked silly.  He has never really had anyone criticise his choices, or his clothing.

I was slightly embarrassed taking him, waiting outside of the classroom with the crowds of moms all dressed in their brandname clothing, and children to match them. Perfectly groomed. Clothing with the right logos. The latest Disney backpack and skater shoes being left at the shoe rack. I should have been proud of my son. Proud of his confidence. Proud of his ability to be different. Proud of the fact that he is not needing to subconciously fit a mold set out by his peers and society. But I was a little embarrassed, and admitting that makes me even more embarrassed.


I recieved some funny looks, smiles of amusement and maybe even some questioning glances.

Most of our cloths are hand-me-downs and my kids don't know any different. They have never been discriminatory regarding clothing.  They like certain items because of their sports logo, or because they are cozy, colorful or comfy- but not because they are a specific brand that some one has taught them is "cool."  They haven't ever thought that the way a person dresses makes any difference in who they are as a person.

I let my son wear this outfit to school because he was proud, and confident. He does not need to know about the world that discriminates based on appearances-yet. He is only 4!


3 comments:

  1. I think he looks super cool! We have went to town numerous times with fairy costumes on, or non matching shoes because she thinks it is pretty -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Melissa and Wilme! I usually tell my kids, "That's not for when we go somewhere public." But I often let them wear clothes that don't match).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like if anyone was staring it would have been because they were jealous of how much cuter your kid was than theirs.

    ReplyDelete