Thursday 23 June 2011

just a slave?

It was a rough afternoon.

I  fought battle after battle with all three of my kids.

I  got nothing productive done.

My 'baby' awoke with the sun, erasing my morning quiet time.

My two youngest children refused to nap, which meant I didn't get a  peaceful moment alone today.

I need those peaceful moments.

I get all knotted up inside, and fester... ready to blow.

I yell too much.

I am too busy to stop and love my kids.

I feel unappreciated, sorry for myself, and like a slave.

I am so glad that it is bedtime and I finally have a moment to myself.

I picked up a devotional, "Sentance or Servanthood" that I refer to often on days like this. It actually is where I got the title for this blog.
It's from the book, "10-Minute Time Outs for Moms," by Grace Fox. Tonight, after this long day... these words stick out to me, these are the words I need to savour and soak up.

" I discovered an attitude changing truth. Choices face us regardless of our role in life. As moms, we can regard meal preparation as monotonous and dirty laundry as drudgery, or we can consider them evidences of God's physical provisions-- food and clothing!
Dirty floors and toilets can become blessings in disguise. If we didn't have homes to clean, we'd be living on the street. Muddy footprints on freshly washed kitchen floors and sticky fingerprints on living room windows evidence active children in our homes. And another hour chauffeuring to music lessons means a child is developing a useful talent.
When we grow frustrated with our responsibility to serve others we can find encouragement in Jesus Christ's example. Scripture says He washed His disciples feet. Imagine! The almighty God-Man, to whom all praise and woships belongs, stooped over a basin and tenderly washed the dust from Hi follower' feet.
Our homemaking and parenting responsibilities provide great opportunities to display servant attitudes. Each task gives us a chance to kick off the 'sentance' mentality and exemplify a Christlike servant's spirit. When we're tempted to grumble, we can choose to smile instead and treat our kids and spouse as though they were very special. After all, they are!"

"The humbler the work, the greater should be your love and efficiency. Be not afraid of the life of sacrifice" Mother Teresa

So tonight I am thankful for Christ's example of serving others without grumbling. I pray that I would keep my heart free of complaining as I serve my family. 

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is inspiring and humbling. It really does not matter your role in life, God calls us all to serve humbly. As I am working at the hospital these days (as a nursing student)I do a lot of menial tasks, but your blog reminds me who I do them for and why I do them with joy. It is for Christ and to make Him known. You are a beautiful person Mel.

    ReplyDelete