Wednesday 7 September 2011

No TV... what now?

As of August 31, we no longer have ANY television stations available in our home. This was not something we planned, or wanted- but because of the whole digital TV switch over, we no longer get the 5 stations we previously got. I suppose I could take this opportunity to go on a TV fast, and to show my kids the value of not being glued to the tube... but I can't. Don't get me wrong- my kids watch less than 1 hour of TV a day, and I tend to watch maybe 1 hour as well. We are not addicts, and many days we don't watch anything.

Though we only ever got 5 stations, we do like TV. I enjoy the break of CBC kids every once in a while, and we have our shows that we like on Global, CBC, CTV and City. And during harvest, I always watch more TV than usual- and the kids do too (its survival really!). So we've gone to the library and got the kids movies. And I have made a new discovery...

Online TV! Ok... you may be thinking, "Wow is she ever behind the times!" This isn't a totally new concept to me, we did have Netflix a while back and I didn't love it. I have watched a few episodes of this and that online before, but now...

Oh I am in love.  A whole new world of tv that I haven't experienced (because we only have 5 stations!) My first stop (recommended) was the Food Network Canada.

Food Network Canada Online
 I quickly polished off "The 100 Mile Challenge."

 I am intrigued by the idea of local eating, and this show was definately interesting and intense! Imagine only eating food from ingredients within a 100 mile radius of your home. I am personally challenged to eat more locally, and to maybe research some options of local food producers.  Some of my in-laws have been raving about these cooking reality shows, so I am now tasting "Top Chef Canada" and am thorougly enjoying this show.

I admit, I have been watching 2 episodes a day for the last few days... mostly late at night in bed because I can't go to bed early when hubby isn't here. I am not a gormet cook but this show is fun, interesting and has great challenges in it. Bad language is not necessary, but unfortunatly is a very regular occurance on this show.

Sweet and Sour Zucchini Salad Recipe
This is not my salad- when I made it, I added red peppers which made the salad more visually interesting
And I have to share a really cool and unique recipe that uses lots of zucchini (for those of you who have too much!). To be honest, I deserve NO credit for this, but it was suprisingly easy and yummy so I want to share it. This sweet and sour zucchini salad turned out great! I made it today at 7:30 am with my little helpers, and it was perfect to serve the men in the field tonight. I used red pepper, green and yellow zucchinis which resulted in great color. It really does have a sweet and sour taste to it. It was a home run. Even my children ate it!

Without TV, I know I should be reading more, cleaning more, keeping up with the laundry better... I should be more productive- but to be honest- I am not. I am reading a novel right now... an easy read by Karen Kingsbury. I am preparing school each day, I am taking the kids on outtings and having lots of fun in the hot sun. I am still dealing with apples and tomatoes. I am experimenting with sewing and organizing the kids closets for winter. There is always lots to do. Funny I feel like I have to justify this guilty little pleasure.

What are your favorite online tv watching websites?

No comments:

Post a Comment